Pomelo = Pointless

This is here is a fruit review. Some people review restaurants, some review wine, but I’m reviewing fruit. It’ll be a thing one day.

Anyway, today I tried my first pomelo. It looks like a swollen grapefruit, but is much less dense (it’s like holding a softball, actually). It was meh.

I know that thing was good for meβ€”all citrus is, right? But it looks like a larger cousin to the oro blanco, which has become an obsession for me over the last two months. (Seriously, because of that fruit I eat a grapefruit a day now.) The pomelo isn’t as sweet; it’s also not as tart. It’s a lot of water, really, wrapped in 3/4 inch of pith and peel.

What do you think? Did I get a bad one? Am I missing something?

20 Responses to “Pomelo = Pointless”

1. james
    February 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Oh, and if you’re cutting into one of these for the first time, I ate it like a grapefruit. Evidently, you can also peel them (if you have five minutes to kill).

2. Alisa
    February 23, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

This is fascinating! Who knew that a locally grown fruit could be so…meh? πŸ™‚ Thanks for saving me time and what looks like to be a whole lot of peeling (I was also going to say spooning, but that doesn’t sound right).

February 23, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

We really need to find you a boyfriend.

3. KimC.
    February 23, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

I was going to just put ‘James great photo’ but then I read the comments. ha! made my afternoon. (that’s not sad is it?)

Oh, thanks for the pomelo review. I guess thats why the dogs left it alone yesterday – they knew.

February 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

That, and it’s been at my office since it was delivered…

4. KimC.
    February 23, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

oh. Well there is something grapefruit looking in a bag on the counter in the kitchen.

February 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Oh, good. You found my other grapefruit.

5. Rebecca
    February 23, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

I first ate a pomelo while visiting a kibbutz in Israel, so it will always hold a nostalgic place in my heart. Sorry you didn’t experience the same nostalgia πŸ™‚

February 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

Yeah, I was just sitting at the my desk. How was it? Distinctive flavors? I got nothin’.
      Also, how did you eat it? Now I’m curious about that.

6. Rebecca
    February 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

It was almost 10 years ago, so I remember the scene much better than the flavor of the pomelo. But I’m pretty sure a guide picked one off a tree, and peeled it for us. I’ll describe the flavor as sparkly sweet.

February 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

I like “sparkly sweet.” Now I’ll have to try another.

7. Sus
    February 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Years ago I had wonderful ones down in SoCal…never have found them here as yummy. Bummer. It’s like all produce…*sigh*

February 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

Susan, can you expand on that last part? Are you saying SoCal produce tastes better? (I’ve never had it to compare.)

I did read that oro blancos grow well around San Diego, but I’ve also heard from many people that the Valley heat is what gives our fruits so much flavor. That’s why (following that logic) I couldn’t find a decent grape last summer.

8. amanda
    February 24, 2011 at 4:44 am #

This is prompting me to finally face one of my food goals of 2011, eat a grapefruit. I know. As a kid I decided they were disgusting (without ever eating one) so my grapefruit experience hasn’t gone beyond the Fresca variety. The house we are renting has a grapefruit tree in the backyard which, according to google, looks a lot like oro blanco. I’ll put on my big girl pants tomorrow and try one.

February 24, 2011 at 4:55 am #

According to Wikipedia, oro blancos are actually a hybrid of the pomelo and the grapefruit, which explains the balanced flavor. Nonetheless, it’s a gateway fruit. I had never eaten more than a spoonful of grapefruit before December – the bitter/tart flavor just wasn’t appealing to me. But I received two oro blancos in a fruit delivery that comes every two weeks, and was hungry enough one day to cut one open. I’ve since eaten every varietal I could find.

I believe there are yellow grapefruits, though I’m not sure how to spot the difference. I picked some up at the farmers market a couple of weeks back, and they were close in flavor, but a little tart. I ate them all πŸ™‚

• tari
      February 25, 2011 at 3:21 am #

Amanda – You may want to try grapefruit the way my mom used to make it for us. Cut it in half, dot with some butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar. Put it under the Broiler till “melts” and kinda browns. Horrible, huh? I remember loving them that way as a kid. Now, I like them okay, but love the juice. Good Luck!

February 25, 2011 at 5:11 am #

Huh. I may just have to try that.

• amanda
        February 26, 2011 at 5:37 am #

Thanks for the tip Tari! I tried it both plain and with the butter/sugar combo (those are the magic words) and still found them too bitter for me. But, that could definitely be due to the tree being neglected for years and/or they weren’t ripe yet. I’ll have to try again!

9. Flannery Good
    February 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

WOW! Jeremy reeeeeeeally needs to get in on this conversation…

February 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

I was trying to feel out if all pomelos are bland, or just the one I had – I’ll eat the second one before giving him my feedback on the box πŸ™‚