Anniversary Eats: Cutija Taco Shop (Los Banos)

Kim and I celebrated six years of “marriage” 1 yesterday with a trip to our favorite city by the bay. Each of our four meals on the road was memorable, so I’m sharing.

Meal #4

On our return trip through Los Banos, Kim and I toyed with another round of barbecue, but settled on tacos, once again turn to Yelp for insight. With 23 reviews, Cutija Taco Shop had an average of 4.5 stars, so we figured it was worth the stop. And excluding the adovada, it was. The asada was good, but the carnitas was the starโ€”chunky, tender, and complemented (not overpowered) by the salsa. The rundown:

• Adovada – 1.5 (out of 5)
  • Asada – 3.5
  • Carnitas – 4.5

They offer a few other meats, but those will have to wait for another trip.

Up next: Tartine.

1 We asked a friend and missionary to marry us in front of our families, but due to a misunderstanding with the County of Fresno, he could only go through the motions. So we were married legally at the courthouse 11 days later.

12 Responses to “Anniversary Eats: Cutija Taco Shop (Los Banos)”

1. Tari Pie
    June 13, 2011 at 1:57 am #

Lucky you! You get to celebrate twice!

The Tacos look good, too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Lauren
    June 13, 2011 at 2:27 am #

Oh my goodness. I need these. I might have to make a midnight run to my taco bus! Congrats on 6 years…who woulda thought. ๐Ÿ˜‰

June 13, 2011 at 3:20 am #

I know! Later this month marks 10 years that we’ve all known each other!

3. Lauren
    June 13, 2011 at 3:46 am #

That’s right! I totally forgot! We’re old.

4. Susan
    June 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

James & Kim — happy anniversary! La Cutija is my fave stop on the way to and from San Fran. Best Beans EVER. It must be 50% lard. Damn good Chorizo burrito…and the carnitas. SO much yummy. Jonesing for it now.

June 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Thanks Susan! I knew I should have tried the chorizo ๐Ÿ™‚

You’ll have to give Hot City a try on your next drive – more to come on them.

5. Sarah
    June 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

Congrats! Looks like a delicious celebration. Reminds me of a funny story…my parents found out after 34 years that the city never filed their marriage papers, so I was technically an illegitimate child up until about 6 months ago when they went down to the courthouse to make it official haha!

June 13, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

Wow, now that’s a story! Also, congrats to them on 34 years of being together – in legal union or otherwise ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Nicole
    June 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

I’ll have to give it a try when I pass through Los Banos on a weekday (when hot city is closed). Now I’m craving tacos. And chorizo (thanks to one of the comments).

June 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

I’m always craving chorizo!

7. Susan
    June 14, 2011 at 5:12 am #

Anxiously awaiting the Hot City post…I have a SF trip in a couple of weeks! And what about a blog or thread or something dedicated to Chorizo? Sorry to get you started on that craving Nicole…but I think we all could use a few more great spots to have some. Hmmm…starting my own food blog called Chorizo & Jimmy Choo…

June 14, 2011 at 5:36 am #

Susan, if that’ll give us a chance to get together for lunch, I’m game ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, you should make that blog happen.