Chilorio and chicken feed

I’m not a picky eater, but there are two things that I usually try to avoid: canned meat and mayonnaise. Don’t even think about trying to mix those two around me.

I take exception on occasion, like business luncheons or situations where refusal may offend someone. Also, when it looks so tasty that I can’t resist:

That there is a fried egg hugging a tortilla full of chilorio, a slow-simmered, spiced pork that’s sold canned or in pouches here in the States.  The taco was our entree for dinner last week when Kim and I joined Tracy, Nyeland and Katie for dinner.

But first, gazpacho shooters with pickled zucchini chasers:

A little wine, a cool summer evening…

…and a table full of tasty eats.

Yep, that’s mayo on that corn. I’ll admit, it worked.

Now, about those eggs—those were courtesy of these lovely ladies. Who knew that chickens were such fans of corn on the cob?

9 Responses to “Chilorio and chicken feed”

1. Sherron
    July 6, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I love the rooster picture..awesome! My friends eat their corn with mayo and red chili powder. Sounds interesting, I will have to give it a try. ENJOY!

2. Amanda
    July 13, 2011 at 1:22 am #

seriously awesome photos (as always), james!!! now if i just had some chilorio & mexican corn in front of me this second…

July 13, 2011 at 6:01 am #

Thanks Amanda! We’ll go on the hunt when we come visit 🙂

3. The Teacher Cooks
    July 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

It looks fabulous, but I have to admit I have never had chilorio. The corn sound amazing!

July 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Thank you – it was surprisingly tasty! This was my first time tasting chilorio, but I’ve since found several friends who love the stuff, and I’m told that it’s even better fresh, though I’m not sure you can get it outside of Mexico.

4. Traci Marcotte
    July 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Is that parmesan on the corn as well?

July 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

Traci, I think it was cotija – the cheese is sprinkled over a layer of mayo. If you used butter instead of mayo, I bet parmesan would work, too!

5. Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie
    August 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

It’s only 8:15 am but I want some of that corn. Can’t be so bad, right? That stuff is seriously addicting. I gorge on 2-3 for dinner and call it a day. 🙂 And that glistening egg over the chilorio makes it I swear.

August 2, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

Stephanie, the egg was hard to beat (no pun intended)! But yes, that corn would make an excellent dinner. In fact, I have a few ears in the fridge, and I’m hungry…