Cantaloupe-less Round Up

Drive west from Fresno to Mendota and you’ll be greeted with a sign announcing the city–population 11,000–as the cantaloupe capital of the world.

My friend Roque claims that’s not true. He says Firebaugh (just 8.7 miles north), is and has been the cantaloupe capital–and that Mendota stole their sign. So to settle the debate, he and Heather took Kim and me to Firebaugh’s annual Cantaloupe Round Up.

Here’s Kim, excited for cantaloupe:

The festival starts on Thursday and runs through the weekend, so we showed up on Sunday hungry for lunch. It turns out that most of the vendors and staff spend that day recovering from the previous night’s festivities, so we were limited to a few taco stands.

Selection aside, I was impressed, especially since most of the vendors were churches and community groups. The chicharron pupusa alone was worth the trip.

So what about the cantaloupe? We didn’t try any. Only a handful of vendors advertised it, but none of those were open. No problem, shaved ice will do in a pinch.

Time for the rides! They could have been fun, had they been running…and assuming we I could fit.

Yes, that’s a smoking bulldog on a children’s ride. (Nice catch, Heather!)

Just so you don’t think we were the only ones out on Sunday:

Next year, we know to go on Saturday.

6 Responses to “Cantaloupe-less Round Up”

1. Bobs Uruncle via Facebook
    August 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Awesome, you should come by Fresno and check out all the cool……………………………….Nevermind!

2. Foie Gras & Flannel via Facebook
    August 4, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

Oh, c’mon – Fresno’s not so bad 😉

3. Bobs Uruncle via Facebook
    August 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

Culinary wasteland, I’ve been here 3 years ready to leave!

4. Nicole
    August 5, 2011 at 4:28 am #

I bought an Asian Cantaloupe at the market yesterday. It was new to me – have you tried them? Sooooo good! http://www.theproduceguide.com/doitem.php?pnum=391

August 5, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Nicole, I’m can’t remember exactly, but I think we had a couple of those when they first started showing up – was it from Thao Farms? It was very sweet, and a little smaller than regular cantaloupe.

We tried a gala melon a week or so ago, but that was a bit musky, and the texture wasn’t as firm and silky. It wasn’t my favorite.

• Nicole
        August 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Yeah, it was from Thao. It has a really good cantaloupe flavor, but the texture is crisper.