Name that pepper:

Ever seen one of these? I bought a few off of the flower vendor at the market this morning—she says they’re as hot as a habañero.

I’m a little nervous.

7 Responses to “Name that pepper:”

1. Amanda
    September 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

oooo never seen one before but i’m intrigued! i wonder if they have any of that sweet almost citrusy flavor that the habanero has? proceed with caution but have fun! can’t wait to hear what it tastes like!

September 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Turns out these were slightly under-ripe Bishop’s Crown peppers, which are pretty low in heat (there’s really no heat if you don’t eat the seeds). I had one that was starting to turn red, and it was delicious – strong fruit flavor.

2. Arthur Contreras via Facebook
    September 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

Uba Tuba nmsu chile instute

3. Phillip
    September 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

I’m glad we finally figured that out. Did you use them in the chili? From what I read it said it shouldn’t be too hot, and with a bit of sweetness.

September 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

Me, too! Looks like another variation (or perhaps, different name for the same pepper) is the ubatuba. It ranks pretty low on the Scoville scale, so I ate the ripest one raw – it was a good flavor. It would have been overpowered in the chili, so I stuck to the habanero and Fresnos 🙂

• Phillip
        September 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

An excellent plan. Did the smokiness in the tomatoes come through? You know, if you happen to have too much of that, I’d be willing to help you get rid of some of it. 😀

September 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

I’d be happy to share, Phillip, if I hadn’t had to salvage this one. I cooked in a borrowed pot (instead of my cast-iron Dutch oven), and almost ruined the entire dish.

I saved it, but it’s not my proudest moment.

That said, I can taste just a hint of the smokiness, which balances out some of the sweet from using such fresh ingredients. I treated the peppers the same way, and may like them better than when I char and peel them.